Default route doesn't change to wireless device (ath0)

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Sep 2 09:49:58 PDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 10:03:39AM +0200, Jochen Gensch wrote:
> Am Freitag 02 September 2005 03:52 schrieben Sie:
>
> > The issue is that start_if.ath0 always runs at boot or when
> > you insert the card, but not when you get a lease.  If you want to take
> > an action when you get a lease, you need to do it in the dhclient hooks.
>
> I cannot manage to get ath0 up properly. If dhclient doesn't change the
> default route again, once a device got it one should be able to do it by
> hand. So when I bootet the system was running on fxp0. Then I did the
> followiing:
>
> SU NB /:route -n flush -inet
> default              10.0.0.1             done
> 10.0.0.104           127.0.0.1            done
> [REMOVED network cable from fxp0]
> [Pluged in wireless nic ath0]
> SU NB /:ping i-mc.de
> PING i-mc.de (213.203.199.12): 56 data bytes
> ping: sendto: No route to host
> ^C
> --- i-mc.de ping statistics ---
> 2 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
> [OK, routes have not been corrected yet]
> SU NB /:route add default 10.0.0.1
> route: writing to routing socket: File exists
> add net default: gateway 10.0.0.1: File exists
> [Why does that route sitll exist, it has been deleted above]
> SU NB /:ping i-mc.de
> ^C
> SU NB /:route delete default
> delete net default
> SU NB /:route add default 10.0.0.1
> add net default: gateway 10.0.0.1
> SU NB /:ping i-mc.de
> ^C
>
> I cannot set the routes to ath0 once fxp0 was active. I guess I must still be
> misunderstandung what you guys are saying / doing.

I need to see the IPv4 routing table before and after each step to
understand what's going.  Please send the results of "netstat -rnf inet"
at each stage.  Also, please, please, please, ping by IP address so
we're not testing your resolver (which is dependent on your routing
configuration.)

-- Brooks