6.0-BETA3 and Asterisk

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Sep 2 00:49:46 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 06:36:57PM +0400, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> > > AFAIK just before BETA3 system libraries were bumpted. One should
> > > rebuild ports after upgrading the system from earlier one. Is it your
> > > case?
>
> > Can mismatched library versions really cause kernel panics??
>
> Can't say for sure. But lets solve problems by steps. Using different
> system libraries simultaneously is not right (we don't have compat-5x).

I disagree strongly. If the OP's system suffers a kernel panic, it's a
kernel problem which *needs* to be fixed. Otherwise the system is open to a
trivial denial-of-service attack: any userland program can replicate
whatever any library does to trigger the panic.

If upgrading the libraries did make the problem go away (which I doubt in
this case), then the OP might have a working system, but the stability of
FreeBSD as a whole would be the worse for it.

Regards,

Brian.