The case of the missing USB controllers

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sat Oct 29 23:25:11 PDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 01:21:49PM -0400 I heard the voice of
John Baldwin, and lo! it spake thus:

> > > 2) Does it work ok if you disable APIC?
> > >
> > > 3) Do you have a verbose dmesg and mptable output available
> > > somewhere?
> >
> > mptable -verbose attached.  The dmesg will probably have to wait
> > for the weekend; I really hate losing my state  :|
>
> Ok.  I kind of need both of them to make sense of things, but I can
> wait, no rush.

OK.  Here we go.

I updated another box to this afternoon's RELENG_4, and tried both a
GENERIC[0] kernel, and a GENERIC+SMP+APIC[1].  I also booted my
current -CURRENT kernel (~Oct 1) with APIC disabled[2] and normal[3].
Note the minor difference that for the RELENG_4 boots I had to enable
the ATA controller, which is normally disabled.

With the non-APIC/SMP, on both 4 and 7, the [onboard] USB worked.  It
took interrupts, the mouse responded.  Unplugging and replugging it
worked just fine.  With APIC/SMP, on both 4 and 7, it failed to work
and never took an interrupt.

Note in the 4.smp dmesg there's a "No debugger in kernel" line where I
Ctrl-Alt-Esc'd, right between the CPU1 launch and the uhub0
SET_ADDR_FAILED.  It froze there for a long time (minute+).  That same
message comes up in 7 when I try to hotplug stuff; it shuts off power
to that port, and so it won't probe anything plugged in after boot.
Stuff plugged in at boot stays powered up, though (so at least I get
to play with the LED on the mouse ;).  But on 4 it didn't last that
long.

In none of the 4 combinations did the USB2 card (Adaptec AUA-4000, the
package says) probe at all, other than perhaps in the bus enumeration
(vendor 0x9004==Adaptec?  There's 2 2940's in other PCI slots, so that
sounds right).

So, without the APIC, it seems to work well enough.  Unfortunately,
with this staggering CPU muscle, I can't really afford to lose half my
processing power, even to get away from a terrifyingly nasty RS232
serial mouse...

[0] <http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/dl/dm/dmesg.4.generic>
[1] <http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/dl/dm/dmesg.4.smp>
[2] <http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/dl/dm/dmesg.7.noapic>