Timers and timing, was: MySQL Performance 6.0rc1

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Oct 29 09:00:54 PDT 2005

In message: <20051029084716.GY39882 at cirb503493.alcatel.com.au>
            Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au> writes:
: Most applications will do all their timekeeping using a single set of
: clock calls so I don't think this is especially serious.  Does POSIX
: require any guarantees about (eg) clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME), time()
: and gettimeofday() returning identical values?  Can we claim "rounding
: and truncation" to explain the discrepancies?

I'm not sure that most of them do.  I've seen all three used in the
libraries we have at work, for example.  It would be nice if the
inaccuracies were well documented...

Warner