rfcomm problems

Niki Denev nike_d at cytexbg.com
Thu Oct 27 18:05:53 PDT 2005

Hi Maksim,

> please find attached patch. the patch will put stdin/stdout into 'raw'
> mode when no tty was specified. it should fix the problem you were having.
>
> keep in mind that there is no escape sequence, so you have to kill
> rfcomm_sppd(1) by hand to terminate the session.
>
> could you please try to use rfcomm_sppd(1) in both stdin/stdout mode and
>  in 'set device ...' ppp(8) mode.

I was also thinking about trying to put stdin/stdout in raw mode to see
if it will work before i saw your email :) (because this was the only
difference i found between using tty and stdin/stdout)

With this patch i can issue properly commands to the gsm modem and get
response with rfcomm_sppd in stdin/stdout mode. (it seems to not reset
the terminal properly on exit, but i think you know that :) )
I have also properly connected to internet via gprs and with
'set device "!/usr/bin/rfcomm_sppd -a gsm -c1"' in ppp.conf

> could you please post /etc/ppp/ppp.conf entry you where using with
> rfcomm_pppd?

default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
 set speed 115200
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
           \"\" AT OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set timeout 0
 resolv readonly
 enable dns

bt-gprs:
 set speed 115200
 set phone *99\#
 set ifaddr 0 0 255.255.255.255
 add default HISADDR

bt-gprs2:
 set speed 115200
 set device "!/usr/bin/rfcomm_sppd -a gsm -c1"
 set phone *99\#
 set ifaddr 0 0 255.255.255.255
 add default HISADDR

This is the whole ppp.conf
I try to use the first label 'bt-gprs' for rfcomm_pppd.

(i think i can use only one label, because as far as i remember ppp(8)
ignores 'set device' in -direct mode, but i made two just to be sure)

So maybe ppp in -direct mode is not setting properly the line in raw
mode?

> thanks,
> max

Thanks,