MySQL Performance 6.0rc1

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 27 01:23:29 PDT 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <43607DD5.3020708 at freebsd.org>, David Xu writes:
>
>> Check gettimeofday syscall, it follows every I/O syscall, I think
>> our gettimeofday is tooooooo expensive, if we can directly get time from
>> memory, the performance will be improved further.
>
> Why would anybody take a timestamp at all I/O syscalls ?
>
> "I wonder why my car can only go 30 km/h with the trunk full of
> concrete" ?
>
> In a data base application I could possibly understand a timestamp after
> every write.
>
> But after _all_ I/O syscalls ?  That's just plain stupid...

This is actually a problem that came up with netperf as well -- it turned
out we built it by default with -DHISTOGRAM, which meant that each syscall
was followed by a time check.

However, the issue of expensive time keeping will presumably keep coming
up.  It would be interesting to know which time counter is in use on the
system is question.

Robert N M Watson