6.0-RC1: ral(4) driver broken? network interruptions

Søren Schmidt sos at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 24 10:30:44 PDT 2005

On 24/10/2005, at 19:17, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have an oldish computer VIA KT333/Athlon XP board (i386) that I
> recently upgraded from FreeBSD 5.4 (was rock solid) to 6.0-BETA3 and
> today to 6.0-RC1 (I rebuilt everything from scratch).
>
> I had to upgrade because there was no ral(4) driver for FreeBSD 5.4
> but
> only for 6.0, which I needed after I had switched from 3C900 Combo
> (802.3 whatever 10Base2) to Edimax EW-7128g (802.11b/g). The latter
> card
> is based on RT2525 and RT2560 chips/modules. I'm using WPA-TKIP to
> connect it to an AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN.
>
> The computer is dual boot with SUSE Linux 9.3, where RA card is
> absolutely stable and does 48 Mbps without trouble.
>
> Booting FreeBSD 6.0-BETA3 or -RC1, I constantly see lines like these
> from cvsup running on FreeBSD:
>
> Parsing supfile "/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile"
> Connecting to cvsup7.de.FreeBSD.org
> Connected to cvsup7.de.FreeBSD.org
> Server software version: SNAP_16_1g
> Negotiating file attribute support
> Exchanging collection information
> Establishing multiplexed-mode data connection
> Running
> TreeList failed: Network write failure: Connection closed
> Will retry at 19:10:59
>
> and in my ssh client (running on Linux, logging in to that FreeBSD
> machine), with varying numbers:
>
> Disconnecting: Bad packet length 3626208547.
>
> Something in TKIP, WLAN or ral appears to be hosed. Anyone else
> seeing this?

Yes I see the same thing with iwi, it looses connection now and then.
Heavy traffic alone doesn't do it, but starting VNCviewer kills it
every time. A killall -1 wpa_supplicant gets the connection back on
track...
Other end here is a Dlink DI624+ so the mix is totally different from
yours...

Søren Schmidt
sos at FreeBSD.org