The case of the missing USB controllers

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sun Oct 23 20:43:32 PDT 2005

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 04:41:15AM +0000 I heard the voice of
Bill Paul, and lo! it spake thus:

> The machine has several USB controllers and FreeBSD likes them just
> fine -- _when_ it actually manages to detect and attach the
> controllers correctly. Unfortunately, it very often doesn't.

Interestingly enough, I have a machine that also doesn't get along
with its USB, but my situation is completely different.  Mine seems to
be interrupt routing issues.  And not even the fun ACPI-related
interrupt routing issues that everyone else seems to enjoy...

This is an Intel PR440FX board (dual PPro).  It's got onboard USB, and
I've got a mouse plugged into it, which I'd really like to use:

uhci0: <Intel 82371SB (PIIX3) USB controller> port 0xff80-0xff9f irq 9
       at device 7.2 on pci0
uhci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
usb0: <Intel 82371SB (PIIX3) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
[...]
ums0: Kensington Kensington USB/PS2 Wheel Mouse, rev 1.10/1.00, addr
      2, iclass 3 /1
ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.

The downside is that it doesn't work.  The mouse detects just fine
there (as long as it's plugged in on boot; hotplug fails totally), but
the USB controller never takes a single interrupt, so of course the
mouse just sits there looking pretty.  I only ever used the USB once,
to test a USB keyboard a couple years back, and it worked all right
then.

I thought it might be a problem with that USB controller anyway, so I
bought an Adaptec USB2 card.  But that doesn't even probe or power up
or anything.  My only hint at that from dmesg is:

pcib0: unable to route slot 7 INTD

, so presumably it just won't talk to that PCI slot at all.  I know it
used to, because I had a NIC in that slot that I used years ago.  I
know it would still probe the NIC in that slot up until I took it out
of the kernel config (de0; I took it out when mpsafenet became the
default since it wasn't mpsafe).  I messed around with PnP settings in
the BIOS, but to no avail.  And that's my only available slot...

Unfortunately, this is my workstation, so I can't really spend a lot
of time sitting around rebooting it either   :|

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net