New DHCLIENT Problem

Sam Nilsson lists at servingpeace.com
Fri Oct 21 15:14:29 PDT 2005

Alex Ford wrote:
> Hello all -
>
> I am having problems using the DHCP client in the base system to obtain
> an IP address from my ISP.
>
> I have a DSL modem (not a modem/router) that connects directly to the
> computer, no router in between.
>
> I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 6.0-RC1, 'uname -a' shows:
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD box1.myfreebsdbox.org 6.0-RC1 FreeBSD 6.0-RC1 #0: Sun Oct  9
> 20:32:57 UTC 2005     root at x64.samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> i386
> $
>
> During the post-installation configuration of the network interfaces
> (using sysinstall) I tried configuring my network card (vr0) to be
> automatically assigned an address via DHCP. It appeared to hang
> (although it was probably just timing out) and dropped me to the screen
> to manually configure the settings. I did so, giving it a static
> 192.168.0.x address so that I could get internet connectivity and
> reconfigure it properly later on.
>
> When I manually edited my /etc/rc.conf to include:
>
> defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"
> hostname="workdesk.homenet"
> ifconfig_vr0="DHCP"
>
> ...and my /etc/hosts to include:
>
> 127.0.0.1               workdesk  workdesk.homenet
>
> ...and /etc/resolve.conf contained:
>
> domain	homenet
> nameserver	209.172.0.5 (a known good DNS server from an ISP)
>

> This has always worked for me in the past, so I thought nothing of it. I
> then rebooted and when the time came to initialize the interface I get
>
> Oct 21 15:10:28 workdesk dhclient[5516]: Bogus domain search list 15:
> domain_not_set.invalid (domain_not_set.invalid)
> Oct 21 15:10:28 workdesk dhclient[5516]: Invalid lease option - ignoring
> offer
>
> It repeats that a few times then exits and continues on with the rest of
> the boot process.

Me too! I updated to 6.0-RC1 last night and I had the same problem. The
dhclient.conf(5) man page appears to document the old ISC DHCP Client
rather than the new OpenBSD implementation.

My /etc/dhclient.conf file (which worked with the ISC version) looks
like this:

interface "xl0" {
         supersede domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;
         supersede domain-name "mydomain.com";
}

I am also getting these same messages:

Oct 21 15:10:28 workdesk dhclient[5516]: Bogus domain search list 15:
domain_not_set.invalid (domain_not_set.invalid)
Oct 21 15:10:28 workdesk dhclient[5516]: Invalid lease option - ignoring
offer

My question is: How can we get dhclient to ignore/override the domain
search list field so that it accepts the lease?

- Sam Nilsson