Loss of ed(4) in a RC1 booted in qemu

Mars G. Miro marsgmiro at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 10:17:50 PDT 2005

> In message: <200510131210.55135.jkim at FreeBSD.org>
>             Jung-uk Kim <jkim at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> : On Thursday 13 October 2005 10:21 am, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> : > Le Thursday 13 October 2005 15:38, Joshua Coombs a $,3u=(Bcrit :
> : > > Welp, while I have no real help, I can point out this was
> : > > reported by another user on the stable list, QEMU + RC1 == no ed
> : >
> : > well, I should have looked there before posting here ;-) (sorry for
> : > the excellent Michel talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr : I should have
> : > seeen your post)
> : >
> : > > I'm kinda dreading upgrading my 386... I'll pull down the generic
> : > > kernel and do a test boot to see if it's a QEMU thing or a
> : > > reguression in RC1
> : >
> : > for me, it's definitely a qemu thing : I have two other machines
> : > upgraded to 6.0 post-RC1, and both are working *fine* ; moreover
> : > one is a notebook with a pcmcia ed(4), and this NIC works perfectly
> : > (the issue is therefore seen only on qemu)
> :

For the record, I have never been able to successfully use qemu (w/ or
w/o kqemu, whether i386 or amd64) + 6.0 (up to RC1). It just panics
somewhere during the installation -- I'm able to get past sysinstall,
create my FreeBSD partitions, and proceed to doing a minimal install,
but somewhere in the middle of extracting, it just panics. I thought
it was caused by some of the ATA problems (w/c were supposed to be
fixed) but somehow I've not been successful. Some people also said
something about turning off INVARIANTS, WITNESS and friends but I
haven't checked whether this is disabled in RC1. Some people also had
the same problems in VMWare and 6.X though I don't know if they've
tried RC1 and whether that would work. Maybe those who have VMWare
report back?. I wanted to track this down but have been busy with
other more impt matters ;-(

This doesn't happen in 5.X, where I'm able to install it fine whether
in i386 or amd64, though the latter I've had to patch my tree because
there's no ed.

This is on FreeBSD/amd64 5.4Rp7

Thanks.

> : QEMU emulates RTL8029:
> :
> : ed0: <RealTek 8029> port 0xc100-0xc1ff irq 11 at device 3.0 on pci0
> : ed0: Reserved 0x100 bytes for rid 0x10 type 4 at 0xc100
> :
> : and Warner Losh MFC'd new ed(4) right before 6.0-RC1:
> :
> : http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200510081800.j98I0fRI089493
> :
> : The new driver does more aggressive probing and it seems QEMU cannot
> : handle it.

> Yup.  I'm trying to get qemu going here.  It core dumps for me in
> -nographics mode, which frustrates me since I can't run it on my
> fastest machine while at work (the machine is at home and the DSL line
> is too slow for qemu's use of X but not too slow for firefox!).  I've
> installed it on my laptop and we'll see how well it works.  I'm
> guessing it may be a bug in all RTL80x9 hardware that I introduced
> into the patches I committed (or was there from the start).

> I lost my bid last night on real 8029 and 8019 hardware on ebay.  If
> someone wanted to send it to me, that would be great!  I have enough
> other NE-2000 clone hardware (including about 30 16-bit PC Cards that
> all work flawlessly or nearly flawlessly[*]).

> I don't suppose there's an easy way to run qemu where it just boots a
> FreeBSD kernel...

> Warner

> [*] My FA-410 takes forever to autonegotiate, but once it does, it
> works great.  All others work, including one that don't work
> completely on any other open source OS...

cheers
mars