FreeBSD 6.0-RC1 available

Christopher Kelley bsd at kelleycows.com
Thu Oct 13 13:29:01 PDT 2005

Paul Dekkers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Christopher Kelley wrote:
>
>> I am having a problem installing 6-RC1, that I am wondering if this
>> will also fix.  It starts to copy from the CD drive, then pretty
>> quickly I get;
>>
>>    panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: c641e000
>>    Uptime: 1m44s
>>    Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
>>    Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort.
>>
>> This is a straight install, I'm not running under VMWare (and I
>> haven't actually a clue what QEMU is), but I don't know if this is
>> something that might be related.  The addr is different each time.
>>
>> This is my "beater" machine, an old P233/mmx with only 96megs, but
>> I've successfully installed various 5.x versions, windows, etc on
>> this machine.  I've even in the past successfully cvsup'd from 5.4 to
>> 6, just to see if it would work.
>

> FWIW, I just experienced the same with a straight install on a Dell PE
> 1300, a PIII-500.
> It was half way through copying the "bin" set.
>
> Paul
>
> BTW, Probably unrelated: I had to disable apic in order to boot (I'm
> on the latest BIOS, A12) and ACPI disabled itself.

Heh, ever get a new idea right after you press "enter" to send a
message?  I *DID* get it to work, by going into the BIOS and disabling
UDMA access for both master and slave on the secondary IDE controller
(the CDROM is on the secondary master, nothing on the secondary slave).
I left the UDMA on for the primary IDE controller (where the hard drive is).

So that's weird.  Because I didn't have do that to install 5.x or
Windows 98.  I guess it won't affect anything, I don't think CDROMs are
UDMA anyways.

Christopher