wireless keyboard with built in mouse

Brian K. White brian at aljex.com
Wed Oct 12 07:09:13 PDT 2005

A while back I posted description of the mouse part of a wireless usb
keyboard not working on 5.4
 this questio and got asked what happens when I cat /dev/uhid0 while moving
the mouse, pressing the buttons etc..
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200507311722.52659.mistry.7

Then later someone else added the comment that the problem is that there is
more than one device on one usb receiver and that 6.0 has the necessary usb
updates to handle that:
I can't find a link to that comment. Maybe they sent it directly rather than
to either -current or -usb and I've deleted my copy since then.

Well I have a 6.0 box now, cvsupped a couple days ago
FreeBSD 6.0-RC1 (AMDEMON) #2: Wed Oct 12 05:28:36 EDT 2005

And so far as I can tell, it behaves exactly the same as 5.4. The keyboard
works fine, no part of the mouse works at all.
(I had to google up the boot: comand to set a atkbd0 flags hint and set the
keyboard to legacy support in the bios in order to install, since the boot
menu and it's usb keyboard option went away, but after that I could turn the
legacy emulation option back off in the bios and the keyboad continues to
work with no manual or loader.conf rc.conf hacks by me)

I couldn't answer the first question by the time I received it but now I
can. On 6.0 though the original question was for 5.4.
Nothing happens. Specifically, cat appears to open the device ok, it sits
there as long as I want until I ctrl-c, and outputs nothing.

On the same box, it works fine plugging in a non-wireless usb keyboard that
has a 2 port usb hub built-in, and a normal usb mouse already plugged into
one of the ports on the keyboard.
both the keyboard and mouse are recognized and a /dev/ums0 is created and
usbd starts a moused on it.

Again, it works fully, out of the box with no manual intervention on recent
linux (suse 9.3 & up)
Is it possible the multiple device recognition thing exists but is really in
7 instead of 6?

Thanks
Brian K. White  --  brian at aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
filePro  BBx    Linux  SCO  FreeBSD    #callahans  Satriani  Filk!