errors during buildworld

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Sat Oct 8 18:03:16 PDT 2005

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 01:33:15PM -0400, Joseph Peralta wrote:
>
>>I am attempting to run 'make buildworld' using the FreeBSD 6.0-BETA5 source,
>>prior to this I completely removed and re-created /usr/src and /usr/obj and
>>downloaded the new source with cvsup. During the build I get the following
>>error, does anyone have any ideas what would be causing it or how to fix it?
>> /usr/src/lib/libz/inflate.c:1086: internal compiler error: Segmentation
>

> This is a FAQ, it usually means hardware failure.
>
> Kris

I have just run into this as well - updating 6.0-BETA5 last night on a
(few weeks old) 6.0-BETA5 system (Tyan S2510 + 2 PIII 1GHz + 2G).

The obvious thing to do is check for a hardware problem, so:

- Tested cpus with cpuburn (2xburnP6 for 1 hour).
- Tested memory with memtest-86 (about 6 hours).

The system passes these tests easily, so I am finding it hard to see
hardware problems (Indeed the system is well ventilated and cooled - 6
fans, and the exhaust air is never anything but cool, even while running
cpuburn).

Another interesting point is that I have used this system to update
6.0-CURRENT to 6.0-BETA1 and subsequently BETA2, BETA3, BETA4 (and BETA5
once) without seeing this issue.

I removed /usr/obj/usr/src/* and tried buildworld again, and it went
through that time (am running the updated system now)...

So it's a bit confusing, could we be seeing a real gcc bug?

regards

Mark