ACPI irq routing problems on Averatec 5428hx

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 3 10:06:59 PDT 2005

On Sunday 02 October 2005 01:57 am, Donn Miller wrote:
> Now, I think the answer might be to ditch the Averatec. But, anyways,
> if I don't disable ACPI on boot, I get a lot of errors like:
>
> device]: couldn't map interrupt
> device_attach: [device] attach returned 6
>
> Attached is a non-verbose and a verbose dmesg output from a -current
> build within a week or so.  I've been having this problems for quite a
> while.  If I disable ACPI, everything works, but I can't use the cpu
> frequency scaling feature, and the fans run like crazy.
>
> Verbose dmesg -> dmesg_v.out
> non-Verbose dmesg -> dmesg_n.out
>
> I have the same issues with Linux, but I usually can get around this by
> passing the "acpi=noirq" flag to the kernel to enable ACPI but to
> disable acpi for irq routing.  Can I do this with FreeBSD?  I think the
> bios in this laptop is crap.

It looks like your BIOS is alwas using the APIC versions of the link devices
(ALKA vs LNKA).  You can probably do a simple fix to your ASL to work around
this problem.  Try getting an ASL dump and posting it to the acpi@ mailing
list.  I can help you fix it and the other folks on that list plus the
acpi(4) manpage can help you override your BIOS's DSDT with the fixed one to
get your machine working.