GEOM error

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Wed Nov 23 13:26:29 PST 2005

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 10:01:56PM +0100, Christian Brueffer wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 02:11:23PM -0800, Doug White wrote:

> > > I get the same messages with my external USB drive from time to time
> > > (interestingly also GBDE encrypted).
> > >
> > > Nov 20 02:03:30 haakonia kernel: g_vfs_done():da3s2c.bde[WRITE(offset=383341297664, length=65536)]error = 1
> > >
> > > The message repeats every 30 seconds and trying to unmount the file
> > > system fails.  When I try to shut the system down, the message appears
> > > n > 50 times followed by a panic.
> > >
> > > Is it possible that the system tries to write on a bad sector and
> > > consequently fails (provided that the on-disk sector remapping also
> > > fails)?
> >
> > You would get a SCSI error in that case since usb storage is attached
> > through CAM.
> >

> Ok.  Any suggestion on where to go from here?  I can trigger this pretty
> reliably on the drive.  Just have to copy enough data around.

I don't know if the offset is in Bytes or sector, but even in case of
Bytes the second example is at 714G, which is obviously out of disk
size unless you are using multiple drives, which is not likely for an
USB drive.
The first one is at 134G, which is also very high, the owner should
compare it with the physical disk size.
So Doug is absolutely correct, the access isn't allowed, because out
of range.
I would say a corrupted FS, partition table or something like that.
Don't know why - maybe GBDE's fault, but could very well any other
reason for data corruption, faulty RAM, etc...

bernd at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de