Lasted NDIS wrapper for D-Link DWL-520+ on RELENG_6

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Wed Nov 23 16:16:15 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to use my PCI Wireless card with NDISulator from Bill Paul.
I have tried to gather as much details as possible browsing through
recent wpaul's posts, I hope this will be enough.  If misfortune made me
forget some details, I apologize for it and please, be indulgent and ask
them.

I'm running RELENG_6 from the beginning of november 7th, but I checked out
src/sys/compat/ndis/ and src/sys/dev/if_ndis/ from HEAD.  The system is
a generic single Pentium IV (therefore, no SMP in kernel).  The full
non-verbose dmesg is available here :
    http://jeremie.le-hen.org/~tataz/dmesg.OBIWAN

The card I bought is a D-Link DWL-520+, based on the T.I. chipset.  Here
is the output of pciconf(8) :
% none0 at pci0:8:0: class=0x028000 card=0x3b041186 chip=0x9066104c rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
%     vendor   = 'Texas Instruments (TI)'
%     device   = 'TNETW1130(ACX111) 802.11b/g Wireless Cardbus/PCI Adapter'
%     class    = network

I'm trying to use the lastest driver for this card provided by D-Link :
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwl520+/Driver/dwl520+_drivers_307.zip

I have to say that I'm quite puzzled by the fact that there seem to be
multiple versions of the DWL-520+ card (at least two, one with an Atheros
chipset and one with a T.I. chipset) but strangely there is only one driver.
Even stranger, the Drivers/WinXP/ directory contains only one .SYS file.
I guess there must be some magic in it.

I've generated the driver using ndisgen(8) :
% cd drivers/dwl520+_drivers_307/Drivers/WinXP/
% ndisgen AIRPLUS.INF AIRPLUS.SYS

At this stage, I gave all .BIN files in turn as firmware files as I don't
know which one are useful.

% cp AIRPLUS_SYS.ko WLANGEN.bin.ko RADIO0d.BIN.ko RADIO11.BIN.ko RADIO15.BIN.ko /boot/kernel/
% cd /sys/modules/ndis/
% make && make install

Then, I tried to load AIRPLUS_SYS.ko in conjunction with WLANGEN.bin.ko
alone first, and then I loaded RADIO*.bin.ko, but the dmesg didn't showed
any additional device probe but :
% warning: KLD '/boot/kernel/AIRPLUS_SYS.ko' is newer than the linker.hints file

And ndis0 didn't appear obviously.

Note that I didn't tried to load those modules from loader since I read
it is generally a bad idea because NDIS drivers assume the OS is fully
initialized, which is obviously not the case when loading modules from
the loader.

As a side note, the acx(4) driver from Darron Broad doesn't handle ACX111
chips, unfortunately, therefore this is not an option for me (anyway
ISTR that it doesn't compile on RELENG_6 due to kernel internal networking
interface change).

Thank you.
Best regards,
--