avail memory is short by 1G on my FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE MP Dell

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Sun Nov 20 18:43:34 PST 2005

On Nov 20, 2005, at 7:08 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 09:02:47PM -0500, Mike Jakubik wrote:
>> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>>> This is a FAQ.
>>>
>>> Kris
>>>
>> Really? Where is it mentioned in the FAQ? I know this has been
>> discussed
>> on the mail lists, but not everyone reads them religiously.
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/
>
> That document isn't an exclusive list of questions that are asked
> frequently :-) I don't know off-hand if it's in there, but the OP can
> also search the mailing list archives for the answer.

I assume you are talking about the "phenomenon"  of RAM "missing" due
to PCI and other I/O mapping into the 4GB address space?  What struck
me about the OP is that the amount of RAM "missing" is more than I
have ever seen due to this.  My systems are usually 3.4-3.6GB of RAM
with 4GB installed, not 2.86GB (3005MB)...  So are we sure that the
PCI space mapping is the problem?

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC