Using ccache for build{world, kernel}

Nicolas Blais nb_root at videotron.ca
Tue Nov 15 16:42:11 PST 2005

On November 15, 2005 07:30 pm, michael johnson wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2005, at 7:06 PM, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > I have better patch which extends detection mechanism, so that
> > along with size/mtime checksum of the compiler binary is stored as
> > well. Since compiler binary linked from the same sources/objects
> > will have the same checksum it allows ccache to be used OOB with
> > buildworld. Do you have any interest in putting it into the port?
> >
> > http://www.portaone.com/~sobomax/ccache.buildworld
>
> Sure, I just have one question about the way this thing works. Would
> using this patch not
> make collision probability of the cache higher? I don't think this
> would be a huge problem,
> but it's not impossible to do with a 1,000,000~ file cache now.

Whatever the final outcome, the current port of ccache breaks a lot of big
compiles (3 ports failed during 'portupgrade -ai', such as GTK2.8.7 and
buildworld) while NOCCACHE makes the build a success.

Maybe flag the port 'broken' until it is safe to use?

Nicolas.

--
FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Tue Nov 15 06:21:56 EST 2005
root at clk01a:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLK01A