3ware 9550sx driver for freeBSD 6 amd64 ??

Devon H. O'Dell devon.odell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 22:52:36 PST 2005

2005/11/8, ke.han <ke.han at redstarling.com>:
> Devon,
> Thanks for the help...sorry to be so dense but my brain must be a little
> fried right now.
> I do get it now ;-)
> The only two extra questions I need are:
> 1 - this is a kernel for amd64/em64t or i386?
> 2 - in order to boot from this kernel, do I burn this on a second cd
> from the 6.0 install CD and just swap the cds for the 3rd phase boot
> process? and then put the 6.0 install disk back in once I'm at the
> sysinstall screen?
>
> thanks again, ke han

No problem.

The kernel is for AMD64.

What you may be able to do is drop to the bootloader prompt and unload
kernel. After that, you should be able to indeed load the kernel from
the other CD, plop the original back in there and boot.

Another suggestion would be to do a PXE boot, which may or may not be
a bigger hassle for you. You could also just extract the ISO
filesystem, replace the kernel and burn another install CD. I think
you can also do this with an md mount of the ISO image (just recopy
the kernel over) and burn the CD. Not sure on the last one though.

--Devon