Marvell SATA Support

Dima Dorfman dd at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 7 01:20:14 PST 2005

Søren Schmidt <sos at DeepCore.dk> wrote:
> Lawrence Farr wrote:
> >Hello All,
> >
> >I have a Supermicro P4SCT+ with an onboard Marvell
> >SATA controller, which also has the Adaptec Hostraid
> >software raid functionality. Are there any patches to
> >support the marvell controller as a plain controller
> >anywhere?
> >
> >pciconf output if anyones interested:
> >
> >none4 at pci2:4:0: class=0x010000 card=0x504111ab chip=0x504111ab rev=0x03
> >hdr=0x00
> >    vendor   = 'Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)'
> >    device   = '88SX504 4-port SATA I PCI-X Controller'
> >    class    = mass storage
> >    subclass = SCSI
>
> Not yet, but I'm working on it, actually on the exact same board.
> Maybe, just maybe, you could hack the Highpoint hptmv driver, I havn't
> tried but unless they put in "tricks" to prohibit that it should work.

Søren,

Have you made any progress on this? I have one of these chips on a
SuperMicro 5013MT-MT(B) board. It has a HostRAID BIOS, but I don't
need the RAID functionality--just being able to see the drives would
be enough.

Here's my pciconf output (I forgot to write down the entire class
value and PCI address, but everything else is accurate):

 noneX at pciX:Y:Z: class=XXX card=0x518015d9 chip=0x504111ab rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
     vendor   = 'Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)'
     device   = '88SX504 4-port SATA I PCI-X Controller'
     class    = mass storage
     subclass = RAID

Since the subclass is RAID, the ata driver doesn't try to attach to it
at all--not even using generic DMA. Would it make sense to force it to
try generic DMA, or does the subclass indicate that the interface is
completely different?

In its current state, I can't see any disks attached to this
controller. Is there an easy way to make it work without RAID? I'd
hate to put another controller into this box.

Thanks,

Dima.