Filesystem panic - one hd inaccessable under 6-STABLE

Jochen Gensch incmc at gmx.de
Fri Nov 4 11:23:59 PST 2005

Hi!

I've encountered a very bad thing here. I was compiling openoffice, when the
system suddenly paniced and rebooted. When it was booting again it said:

Nov  4 19:53:15 incmc kernel: Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s3a
Nov  4 19:53:15 incmc savecore: reboot after panic: ufs_dirbad: bad dir
Nov  4 19:53:15 incmc savecore: writing core to vmcore.0

The bad news is, one harddisk, which was attached via firewire lost its
superblock and cannot be used any more. This is my backup drive :-(. A fsck
-t uds /device ends up with:

fsck -t ufs /dev/da0s1
** /dev/da0s1
Cannot find file system superblock
ioctl (GCINFO): Inappropriate ioctl for device
fsck_ufs: /dev/da0s1: can't read disk label

both harddrives are running with ufs2 + softupdates

I'm scared :-(

Cheers, Jochen