3 things working in -STABLE and not in -CURRENT

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Mon May 23 21:11:46 PDT 2005

I recently upgraded my laptop to -CURRENT from 5.4-STABLE.  Curiously,
I have found 3 unrelated things that broke.  In each case, I have
recompiled any code I believe remotely responsible.

1) atacontrol reinit 1

This command used to recognise the hot plug of my CDROM into my laptop
bay.  It now recognises that something is there, but can get no
version string from the probe and definately doesn't recognise the
drive.

I suspect this is actually somehow related to ACPI ... as the
hot-swapability of the drive bay has depended on acpi.ko being loaded
in the past.

2) cdparanoia and USB CDROM.

The same cdrom drive can be used in an external bay that is connected
via USB (when the device is internal, it connects to an ATAPI bus).
When external, cdparanoia will not recognise the drive... even though
it claims to understand scsi cdroms.

This one is likely not ACPI related.

3) IRDA and ircomm.

I have traditionally used ircomm -Y -d /dev/cuaa1 to talk to my palm
pilot.  After the upgrade to -CURRENT, ircomm exits immediately
without establishing a connection and without any diagnostics.

The IR port still probes fine ... and the palm sees something ... I
think but I'm not sure.  It behaves differently than when there is no
connection at all.  Palm connections over USB seem fine.

Dave.