tty ownership problem

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu May 19 09:13:10 PDT 2005

On one of my machines I am getting the following:

ports-i386%whoami
ports-i386
lsports-i386%ls -l `tty`
crw--w----  1 root  tty    3,  79 May 19 09:20 /dev/ttyp0
ports-i386%

i.e. the tty ownership is wrong.  This is also the only ttyp device
that exists on the machine, i.e. there are no additional devices with
mode 666.

I have verified I have no fbtab, devfs.conf, filesystem mount options,
or kernel patches that should be affecting this.  I've tried switching
the kernel sources back 2 weeks (well before the last working kernel
update), and have done a make world.  Does anyone know what could be
causing this?

Kris