Newest loader from CVS not working

Jonathan Noack noackjr at alumni.rice.edu
Wed May 18 10:14:48 PDT 2005

On 5/18/2005 11:23 AM, Li-Lun Wang (Leland Wang) wrote:

>>>If you are building/installing just the loader, do a full build/install
>>>world without setting CPUTYPE.  From my experience it seems like it is
>>>gcc that is being affected (when it is compiled with CPUTYPE set) and
>>>producing incorrect code for the loader, so a build/install world is
>>>necessary.  This may not help, but it narrows the problem.
>
> I rebuilt the world without setting CPUTYPE, and the loader works.
> I wonder if setting CPUTYPE=p3 when building the world will also work.
> It is strange how gcc could be affected...

It is strange, but there's a way to confirm it is gcc: with your world
built without setting CPUTYPE (as you have it now), compile and install
*JUST* the loader with CPUTYPE defined.  The steps to do this (the
'grep' just shows that CPUTYPE is set):

# grep CPUTYPE /etc/make.conf
CPUTYPE?=p-m
# cd /usr/src/sys/boot/
# make depend && make && make install && make clean && make cleandepend

When I tried the same thing on my athlon-xp machine, the new loader
worked.  So it is only when gcc is compiled with CPUTYPE set that there
is a problem.  I now run 5.4 on the machine and no longer experience the
issue, so who knows...

--
Jonathan Noack | noackjr at alumni.rice.edu | OpenPGP: 0x991D8195