boot banner project

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed May 4 17:55:46 PDT 2005

In message: <ddbd692bcfcae94e8417a228a95fbcfc at mac.com>
            Charles Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> writes:
: I infer that POSIX compliance is not very important to you.

I have POSIX_ME_HARDER defined in my environement :-)

POSIX compliance for POSIX compliance sake isn't a goal.

: > I'm not looking for a catalog of systems.  I'm telling you why
: > we are where we are today, and why things haven't changed: There's
: > really no need and inertial keeps things BSDish.  Most people never
: > use the root shell directly, and all shell scripts are /bin/sh
: > anyway...
:
: The fact that the /etc/rc scripts, cron, and similar tools involving
: root's environment are all run using /bin/sh is one of the primary
: reasons why root shell ought to be /bin/sh.  There are newgroup FAQs
: for various platforms which recommend against changing root's shell
: from being a /bin/sh.

That doesn't follow.  All my shell scripts run /bin/sh, yet my default
shell is /bin/tcsh.

But like I've said twice now: There's lots of bigger problems in the
tree, and a change like this could break things.  There's enough
breakage in the tree now.

Warner