boot banner project

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed May 4 15:25:41 PDT 2005

On May 4, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
>> Agreed.  I consider it a serious misfortune that FreeBSD doesn't use
>> /bin/sh as root's shell.  On the other hand, it's easy enough to fix,
>> so I haven't spent my time complaining about this.  :-)
>
> All BSDs have, since a very long time ago, used /bin/csh as root's
> shell.

NEXTSTEP never did; and neither does OS X:

9-cube# nidump passwd . | grep root
root:********:0:0::0:0:System Administrator:/private/var/root:/bin/sh
daemon:*:1:1::0:0:System Services:/var/root:/usr/bin/false
10-cube# uname -a
Darwin cube.pkix.net 7.9.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30
20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power
Macintosh powerpc

Likewise for the majority of UNIX systems I am familiar with (Solaris,
Ultrix, HP/UX).  In the case of Linux, or a few other systems, they
would use a POSIX shell like bash or ksh instead, which are almost
entirely backwards-compatible with /bin/sh.

--
-Chuck