ULE, 4BSD and xorg

Jon Door jondoor at udor.net
Mon May 2 22:09:48 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005 23:37, jason henson wrote:
> Nguyen Tam Chinh wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> I've tried to use ULE in a fresh -CURRENT (with xorg-6.8.2). After
>> startx my computer simply reboot without no message. Recomiling the
>> kernel with 4BSD, all is okay again. The problem is without X, the ULE
>> worked normally and even gained some speedups (just my *objective*
>> evaluation).
>> So, please tell me if anyone here is using the ULE successfully in
>> -CURRENT?
>
> I had this same problem on -STABLE with ULE+Preemption, when I disabled
> preemption and kept ULE all was normal again.

I have been running with ULE+Preemption on a thinkpad T41 under
RELENG_5, and a dual 933 P3 under -CURRENT.

For the most part the thinkpad is rock solid, a few hangups with X where
fluxbox dumps me to commandline, typically with lots of things running
and after days of uptime.

The dual 933 has been a rocky road, since 5.0 it has fluxuated between
almost unusable to surprisingly fast. Right now it seems very bogged
down doing nothing, video files see some jitteryness and firefox
typcially crashes the entire system unless it is the only thing running,
and firefox visibly slows down the entire system. In the past ULE has
given me must better results on this system, even when I was tracking
5.3-stable and merged in ule changes from -current. By better results I
mean the feel of the system while running X, music, tv tuner, mplayer,
etc... Long email I know, thanks.