I'm impressed with 5.4-PRERELEASE

Andre Guibert de Bruet andy at siliconlandmark.com
Thu Mar 31 16:06:10 PST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, David D.W. Downey wrote:

> I am truly impressed with the speed increases across the board with
> 5.4-PRERELEASE.
> I currently run an ipfw + ipnat + quagga box that handles our local
> network traffic as well as bgp peering for ipv6 blocks.
> I don't usually go gaga over most operating systems, but I must say I'm
> very happy with the prerelease.

At work, we have our own success story with it. We migrated our busiest
webservers via re-install, to 5.4-pre (From 4.x) with much success. In
all, the operation took about an hour to get the machines back up and
handling requests. During this time, traffic was redirected to a couple of
spare 5.4-pre servers that we had racked for the occasion. The data
volumes are still UFS1 at this point, but that migration will have to be
for another time...

It all went so well that I was asked several hours after everything was
back online if the process had begun! :-)

Andy