Heads up: gtar gone from base system

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Wed Mar 30 11:55:02 PST 2005

Stephen McKay wrote:

>On Tuesday, 29th March 2005, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>

>>Brian missed a pair of parenthenis.  The example should read:
>>
>>( cd srcdir ; tar cf - . ) | ( cd destdir ; tar xpf - )
>>

>Tar is indeed a most excellent program for copying directory trees, since
>even in this modern century cp fails to correctly handle hard links.  Sigh.

I find "find -depth |cpio -pdmuv" is better because
it has the option of being run as:
find -depth |cpio  -pdmv which will only update new files .
this is excelent if you stop it half way through for some reason and want
to continue the copy..  good if you want to keep one tree in sync with
another.

also find -depth |cpio -pdlmuv is good if you want a 'linked' copy of a
directory
where all the files are hardlinks of the original.