freebsd naming of releases

Andre Guibert de Bruet andy at siliconlandmark.com
Mon Mar 28 20:44:33 PST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> I think he does not mean this. The process behind is fine. The terms used for
> it are confusing.

They take some getting used to, yes.

> It would be much easier for many users to understand terms like "alpha",
> "beta" or "production" as others to it. There is not other meaning in
> "release" as it is released but for what purpose?

Release announcements usually include the expectations for the release.
Would you run anything that said "Preview" on a production server?

> I know that there is some explanation for the terms at the site but why
> should terms be used which need an extra eplanation?

I find that the terms "alpha", "beta" and "production" do not quite
fit the FreeBSD development paradigm. (Is RELENG_5 beta or production?)

> Keep it simple.

>From this point on, 5.x releases will adhere to the usual KISS versioning.
>From what I've read for 6.x, the first releases will be closer to what our
users have come to expect.