Reattach/redetect allways connected umass device - is it possible ?

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri Mar 25 03:46:25 PST 2005

on 24.03.2005 23:25 Bernd Walter said the following:
> GEOM just don't rereads the media unless you explizitly trigger this.
> Of course a freshly attached drive is enough to inpect the media in it.
> If you forget and use outdated cached data you even risk data
> corruption.
> I don't have a good idea on how to handle the whole story.
> Disk drive have a way to tell about a media change, but GEOM seem to
> ignores this and many flash card readers don't even tell.

Along these lines, but slightly offtopic: it is also kind of mildly
annoying that GEOM can not detect that just burnt CD-R(W) has a
filesystem on it, you have to eject/reinsert media to be able to mount
it. One didn't have to do it in old pre-devfs/pre-geom days.
I do not have any suggestions on how to fix it, though :-(

--
Andriy Gapon