ATAPICAM Problem

Jeff Smick sprsquish at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:54:51 PST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:12:58 -0800, Kevin Oberman <oberman at es.net> wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:30:14 -0800
> > From: Jeff Smick <sprsquish at gmail.com>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-current at freebsd.org
> >
> > If there's an idiot of the week list you can put my name on top. I
> > went back to the handbook and realized I wasn't doing the very first
> > step (I did it the first time, but not after that). I forgot to run
> > 'config KERNEL' after setting new options. It works now.
> >
> > I sincerely appreciate all your efforts.
>
> Jeff,
>
> Please don't do this. There was just a case on stable@ (I think) where
> someone had hosed their system this way. It can be dangerous although it
> almost always works and it is needed in current in just one case:
> * If you have installed only the kernel source code
>
> It is also safe when your sources have not changed since the last kernel
> build (which is likely the case for you), but it is NOT safe on current
> if the sources have been updated, so I tend to strongly discourage its
> use in all normal circumstances.
>
> I would suggest:
> cd /usr/src
> make -DMODULES_WITH_WORLD kernel KERNCONF=config_file_name
>
> This will only rebuild the kernel and not the modules, so it will be
> fast. It is also safe in all cases where full sources are present.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> E-mail: oberman at es.net                  Phone: +1 510 486-8634

Kevin,

Thank you for the tip. I only knew about the options presented in the
handbook on building a custom kernel and running "make buildkernel
KERNCONF=blah" gave me "make: don't know how to make buildkernel.
Stop"

Is there something I need to do to be able to use that tactic or
should I just stick with your suggestion?