rcNG changes/aditions

Doug Barton dougb at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 15 14:21:12 PST 2005

Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> El Martes, 15 de Marzo de 2005 02:43, Doug Barton escribió:
>
>>Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>I'll glad to know if this is of interest:
>>>
>>>update to PR conf/75137 (sound modules): I rework this adding
>>>support for preloaded modules to /etc/rc.subr
>>
>>Why is this necessary? My understanding is that modules load
>>themselves when called. Do the sound modules do this differently?
>>

> This is not needed (I think). You can load modules
> via /boot/loader.conf, but may be more confortable if we 'go modules'
> in a future.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. For most modules, it is not
actually necessary to pre-load them at all. For example, I have cd9660 as a
module, it's not compiled into my kernel. When I mount a cd9660 file system
the kernel module is automatically loaded. There is no need to pre-load it.
The same is true of (most) modules that create devices, such as ndis.

I don't know the specifics of the sound module, I compile it into my kernel.
However, as you pointed out in the rare case that it's necessary to actually
pre-load a kernel module (such as agp), we have a mechanism for that in
loader.conf already. I don't think that adding that code to rc.subr is a
useful exercise, and in fact I would oppose it as needless duplication of
effort.

>>>update to PR conf/74006 (named minor fixes): Fix a typo and umount
>>>dev in chroot in post_stop works
>>
>>Please submit this as followup to the PR.
>>

> Will do.

Thanks.

Doug