patch: fix ata panic with Thinkpad CD and DVD drives

Søren Schmidt sos at DeepCore.dk
Tue Mar 8 06:56:40 PST 2005

Nate Lawson wrote:
> Søren Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Nate Lawson wrote:
>>
>>> If you've been having "memory modified after free" panics on -current
>>> and have a Thinkpad, the attached patch should fix things for you.  A
>>> quick check of RELENG_5 indicates that the bug is probably there also
>>> but I haven't tested for it there.
>>>
>>> The bug is triggered by timeouts in the ata_getparam() probe path.
>>> The ata_timeout() fires and ata_end_transaction() is called to get
>>> the status.  However, it continues down into ata_pio_read() even
>>> though there is no data available since we had a timeout, not read
>>> completion.    ata_pio_read() reads 512 bytes of probably bogus
>>> data.  The important problem is that it also advances donecount.  On
>>> subsequent timeouts (note there are 4 below), donecount advances into
>>> unallocated memory and so subsequent ata_pio_read() calls overwrite
>>> 512 bytes of someone else's memory.
>>>
>>> The fix is to exit immediately if ATA_R_TIMEOUT is set after reading
>>> the status in ata_end_transaction().  It shouldn't go into
>>> ata_pio_read() if there was a timeout.  The patch does this.
>>>
>>> However, it only handles PIO timeouts since I wasn't sure the best
>>> way to proceed for unwinding DMA state and the like for the other
>>> cases. This is enough to fix the overwrite and subsequent panic on my
>>> systems.  I've run heavy IO stress and DVD accesses for a while and
>>> no further panics.
>>>
>>> While looking into this, I found another potential problem.  In one
>>> reinjection case, donecount wasn't reset to 0.  The patch for
>>> ata-queue.c does this and I think it's necessary but don't hit this
>>> case in testing so I can't be sure.  Finally, there's one whitespace
>>> nit that helps with clarity.
>>>
>>> These are similar bugs to one found back in August that had the same
>>> effect.  Here's the closest reference I could find in the mail
>>> archives for this:
>>> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2004-August/033033.html
>>

>> Just a note from here, these bugs are fixed in ATA mkIII so you could
>> just have gleaned the solution from there (or maybe you did :))
>

> Nope, but I'm glad you can corroborate these fixes are correct.

Actually I cant, I havn't looked at what was committed since I already
did fix these problems in the mkIII patches floating around..
Anyhow its in there and the committer has to deal with it until/if I
commit mkIII to -current, I'm out of the loop until then...

--

-Søren