smbfs install option for sysinstall

David Yeske dyeske at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 19:25:06 GMT 2005

I modified the installer a while back to be able to install from a smb share.

http://futurebsd.sourceforge.net/freebsd/smbfs/

It needs a little work though.  I'm looking for some feedback although I have
tested it recently.  I have done a recent install from a Windows XP machine
joined to a domain using a share that required domain admin credentials.

Here are a couple of issues that should be fixed.

1. I am not sure how to get the smbfs kernel support into the installer
without also putting it into the GENERIC kernel of the release.

2. If a user uses is prompted for a password, then the output will make
sysinstall look kinda funny, although the user can enter the password
properly.  There is probably a way to intercept the stdin and stdout of
mount_smbfs and have it display in a menu?  This should work similar to the
root password change option?

3. This may add too much space to the floppy installer?

4. The English used in the menus could be better.

Regards,
David Yeske