dhclient/wpa_supplicant patch

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Jun 30 05:08:03 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 12:23:38AM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:54:15PM -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> > From: Brooks Davis
> > >
> > > --- rc.d/wpa_supplicant	Tue Jun 28 22:24:18 2005
> > > +++ rc.d/wpa_supplicant	Tue Jun 28 18:51:32 2005
> > <...>
> > > +if ! wpaif $ifn; then
> > > +	return 1
> > > +fi
> >
> > I think it would be better if the dhcpif/wpaif test is contained within
> > netif.  It has to exist in netif because its job is to determine how to
> > configure the interface.  The dhclient and wpa_supplicant scripts should
> > be "dumb" single-task scripts to start/stop their respective clients.
> >
> > By putting the dhcpif/wpaif test in the dhclient/wpa_supplicant scripts,
> > not only is it redundant, it makes it impossible to use the scripts
> > manually with an interface that isn't configured in /etc/rc.conf with
> > the DHCP or WPA magic words.  Such manual operations are useful in
> > testing, temporary interfaces and custom profile-based configurations
> > where it's not possible/practical to have a configuration line in
> > /etc/rc.conf beforehand.
>
> Good point.  The test is already in ifconfig_up/down so it's not needed
> in wpa_supplicant or dhclient.

Upon further reflection, the wpa_supplicant case was removed before
commit, but I've kept the dhclient case because the code to start a new
dhclient via devd when link is detected relies on rc.d/dhclient only
working on appropriate interfaces.  An option to skip this test when
called with forcestart/forcestart seems like a reasionable compromise in
keeping with rc.subr's design.  I don't have time to work that out at
the moment, but would be happy to look at patches.

-- Brooks