Installing FreeBSD -- urgent hard drive issue

Dimitry Andric dimitry at andric.com
Mon Jun 20 15:42:00 GMT 2005

On 2005-06-20 at 17:24:17 Benjamin Sher wrote:

> I chose ad1and then saw the Fdisk screen. I don't need to Fdisk
> anything. I just want to use the second primary hard drive.

Yes, you do need to fdisk.  Simply allocate all space on the second
drive (ad1) to a FreeBSD partition by pressing A.  Try reading:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-steps.html

> I am very much afraid that I might do something wrong and wipe out
> my Windows installation.

Then don't select the first drive (ad0). :)  If you select this drive
by accident, it will show you the Windows partition(s) on it anyway,
so you will see immediately that you chose the wrong drive.