WARNING: current unstable

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Sat Jun 11 00:47:06 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 03:10:17PM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> It looks like my test systems were running some of the few drivers that
> aren't suffering from a very strange bug.  You may wish to avoid
> updating.  I'm investigating, but so far, nothing makes much sense. :(

Good news and bad news.  The good news is that I think I've found
the problem (at least I've fixed my vr(4) nic and an fxp nic works).
The bad news is that I broke all the MII based drivers so it's going to
take a while longer to fix (though I hope to do it tonight.)

The problem is that I didn't notice the device_get_softc(<parent>) calls
in mii.c that were being cast to ifnet pointers.  As a result, all mii
based drivers ended up with mii_ifp values that were actually softcs.
I've committed a hack to get the ifp from the softc by dereferencing the
softc pointer.  I now need to audit all miibus users and make sure they
call if_alloc() before mii_phy_probe().  Once I've done that, I need to
work on modifying the mii_phy_probe() API to include the ifp so I can
get rid of the evil casts.

-- Brooks