install erroring out durning mergemaster...

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 31 06:49:17 GMT 2005

Jeremie Le Hen wrote:

> Given the error you showed us, I would say you have NO_BIND_MTREE
> instead of NO_BIND_ETC in make.conf(5).  This leads to not create
> /var/tmp/temproot/var/named/etc/namedb and then, it appears you do not
> have NO_BIND_ETC, because it tries to install files from src/etc/namedb
> (see src/etc/Makefile, distribution target).
>
> I don't know why this separation have been made.

Well, rather obviously because a person might want one, and not the other. I
tried to give maximum flexibility with the NO_BIND_* knobs, given the
desires that I imagined users might have, and what was expressed.

> I would say that if
> someone don't want Bind configuration files installed, he doesn't want
> to run mtree for its chroot either.

In the mergemaster case, this is a NOP because the empty directories will
just be deleted.

> Conversely, if he doesn't want to
> run mtree for chroot'd Bind, he certainly doesn't want to install its
> configuration files.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion if I were you. :)

> I dare to Cc Doug Barton

Well, you came close, but the e-mail address you used wasn't exactly right.
I did pick this up on the list though, so I hope this is better late than
never.

Doug