GELI - disk encryption GEOM class committed.

Niki Denev nike_d at cytexbg.com
Fri Jul 29 12:26:07 GMT 2005

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
  > +> Booting from Encrypted Root:
> +>   GELI - Works. How'd one load the kernel from an encrypted root though?
>
> Kernel has to be loaded from a USB Pen-Drive or a CD-ROM.
> You need to put /boot/ directory in there. GELI will ask for the passphrase
> before root file system is mounted. After that you can remove
> Pen-Drive/CD-ROM.

Wouldn't it work if /boot is small separate unencrypted partition?
( Well, there is the possibility that someone replaces your kernel
with one with keylogger to catch your password next time you type it :))
I use this method for bootable RAID1+0 with GEOM's stripe and mirror,
and it seems to work great.

--niki