BSD Installer release 1

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Jul 29 00:52:07 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 07:47:59PM -0500, Chris wrote:
> Brooks Davis wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 01:28:17AM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
> >
> >>Interesting but the listed bugs preclude its use here and I suspect
> >>in most environments :(
> >

> > I do nearly  all my installs without ports, packages, or source:
> >
> > pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui
> > # edit sup files
> > # run cvsup
>
> Unnn - I may have missed a huge part of this... But, if your doing
> cvsup, and its the ports tree you are cvsupping - then you ARE using ports.

I said I do the INSTALL without them.  I just the source tree and ports
quite being a committer to both of them.  I just find the copies on
the release media a waste of time to install since I'll just be nuking
them and installing new copies from cvs.  I was attempting to point
out that the currently missing features while important to the overall
experience, aren't critical to being able to get a system up and running
configured how ever you like so long as you have a decent network
connection (which you presumably do if you're going to be downloading a
300MB iso to test out an installer. :)

-- Brooks