dhclient taking all cpu

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Jul 27 20:01:23 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 03:54:58PM -0400, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 July 2005 03:10 pm, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > I think I've found it.  There was a really odd typo (= instead of
> > +) in the code that handles undersized captures on the bpf socket.
> > Please try the following patch and see if it solves the problem.
> > I'm testing here, but I don't have a reliable way to trigger the
> > bug.  The fix is fairly obvious so I'll commit it to head shortly.
>
> Good catch!  It seems to fix my 'infinite loop' problem.
>
> One more problem to solve...  I have to do the following to make
> bge(4) working correctly at boot time:
>
> ifconfig_bge0="up DHCP"
>
> Without `up', dhclient fails like this:
>
> bge0: link state changed to DOWN
> bge0: no link .............. giving up
> bge0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> 	options=1a<TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING>
> 	ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> 	media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
> 	status: no carrier
>
> because bge(4) does not change link state while the interface is down.
> This problem is more serious with wireless driver because link
> doesn't go up until it is associated with some AP.
>
> I was always wondering which is correct.  Do we have to update link
> state while interface is down or not?

The interface shouldn't really be doing anything if it isn't up.  I'm
tempted to change the code to always "ifconfig <ifn> up" interfaces
configured for DHCP.  Longer term (7.x) I may change things to that's
all etc/rc.d/netif does for DHCP interfaces.  There are a number of
issues to work out before that's feasiable though so I'm not doing
anything other then pondering at this point.

-- Brooks