WPA_Supplicant and multiple networks with different 'media'

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Tue Jul 26 14:27:02 GMT 2005

Hello,

Ok... I've got wpa_supplicant working fine.  Even starts up when I boot
(Thx Bakul).  But now I would like it to work with multiple networks.

I believe my wpa_supplicant.conf is setup properly (appended to bottom).
  The problem appears to be that my multiple networks are "different
media", so to speak.  One is b the other g.... one is on channel 11 the
other 6.... one is defaulting to one wep key the other is different.  It
never tries anything but my home networks "media" type.  That being the
last media it successfully connected to.  If I manually change things
using ifconfig... it will associate with the office network.  But seems
this should be automatic.

How (in wpa_supplicant.conf maybe?) can I give it a few types of media
to cycle through like it does the network blocks?  I would think it
logical to have a "media" parameter=value pair inside the network block
but I don't see it in the man page.

I have seen recent (a month or so) posts saying the man pages have not
yet been updated.. maybe that is still the case.  So a second question
would be... where can I find an additional source of current info on
wpa_supplicant configuration?  I have looked through man pages, online
manual, FreeBSD mail lists, etc... maybe I'm just not looking for the
right stuff.  Pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

My wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel