cvs commit: src/games/fortune/fortune fortune.c

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Jul 23 19:09:38 GMT 2005

In message: <20050723064449.GZ842 at wantadilla.lemis.com>
            "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog at freebsd.org> writes:
: You should take a look at what I committed.  It simply uses the
: microsecond value returned by getlocaltime() for the automatic seeding
: by srandomdev().  It fixes the problem.  I can see only two
: explanations:
:
: 1.  srandomdev(), random(4) or friends are broken.
: 2.  random(4) has been initialized incorrectly.
:
: Currently I'm guessing (2), but I don't care much either way.

When sradnomdev() is broken, *DO*NOT* kludge around them by committing
half-baked "fixes" like you did.  It is broken.  We need to find out
the *REAL* cause of the problem.  If Rush gets more quotes than
normal, and that annoys people to find the real problem, we shouldn't
mask it.  It is a really bad choice from a security point of view.

Warner