FreeBSD 5.4 + DELL CERC SATA 1.5/6ch PCI card (Adaptec)

luis lramos3 at satx.rr.com
Fri Jul 22 23:12:10 GMT 2005

    I'm trying to install anything on my Dell SC 1420:  512 MB, SATA
40GB, with SATA 0 and PATA-2 both enabled and RAID off.  Attempting
FreeBSD 5.4 and 5.3 installation, both stop at "Waiting 15 secs for SCSI
drives to settle".  Just prior to this message is "ad4: 38146MB ,WDC
WD400BD-75JM......... at ata2-master SATA150", and the only  If I escape
into loader prompt, type "load  aac", followed by lsmod I will see at
the end "modules: aac.1".  I then type boot and very early see barely a
quick glimpse of a message about aac not registering, the number 17, and
then the boot process stops at the same "Waiting 15secs for SCSI drives
to settle".  What else do I need to do in order to figure out what is
going on with this computer?  By the way, the man page for the aac
driver states
"This driver is not compatible with Dell controllers that have version
1.x firmware. The firmware version is the same as the kernel version
printed in the BIOS POST and driver attach messages." During boot
process a message states "BIOS Revision A02".  Last bit of information:
when trying to install in verbose mode there are messages about the
ATA-2 master controller and information about ad4 drive, then "ar
FreeBSD check1 failed".

 At the same time, I have tried to install Mandrake 10 and the process
stops when it the attempts to install disk drivers.  Any suggestions on
how to solve this problem will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Luis