Recent fragility with if_wi, 802.11 adhoc/wep, and Tiger

Alex Dupre ale at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 19 09:22:04 GMT 2005

Robert Watson wrote:

> I fairly regularly use 802.11 adhoc with WEP to communicate between my
> 6.x/7.x FreeBSD notebook using if_wi, and my Apple PowerBook running Mac
> OS X Tiger.  A few days ago, when I updated from a June to a July HEAD
> revision, this became quite "fragile".
> I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem, though.

I have a (not so) similar problem with my atheros based D-Link DWL-G650
card with late CURRENTs. The problem is very strange: I can connect
stablily to my neighbor's 11g wireless network (even if the signal is
lower than my D-Link DI-624 AP) and I hardly can connect to my AP. When
it happens, the connection goes down after few seconds (no carrier) and
I cannot reconnect anymore. This used to work with older current (about
a month ago). I though the AP was broken, but I have a 11b device (voip
phone) that can connect without problems (yes, I tried to connect the
card in 11b mode, w/ & w/o wep, but it's the same).
Anyone seeing this?

--
Alex Dupre