Failure in installworld with new 6.x-branch

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon Jul 18 06:19:39 GMT 2005

I have a power-PC system which has been following HEAD, where
it has been running HEAD for awhile.  Now that an official
6.0-branch has been created, I moved aside /usr/src and checked
out a new src with -r RELENG_6.  I copied over a few minor changes
(like the same kernel config I had been using), and started a
rebuild.

buildworld, buildkernel, and installkernel went fine.  After I
rebooted into single-user mode, the installworld failed early, at:

>>>  Installing everything
cd /usr/src; /usr/bin/make -f Makefile.inc1 install
===> share/info (install)
===> include (install)
creating osreldate.h from newvers.sh
touch: not found
*** Error code 127

The quick-fix that I did was to add 'touch' to the rule in
/usr/src/Makefile.inc1 which does:

distributeworld installworld: installcheck
         mkdir -p ${INSTALLTMP}
         for prog in [ awk cap_mkdb cat chflags chmod chown \
             date echo egrep find grep install-info \
             ln make mkdir mtree mv pwd_mkdb rm sed sh sysctl \
             test true uname wc zic; do \
                 cp `which $$prog` ${INSTALLTMP}; \
         done

The installworld worked after that.  The 'touch' that installworld
tripped over seems to be the one in  /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh

I was upgrading two machines in the same fashion (switching from
HEAD to RELENG_6) at about the same time.  The i386 machine did not
get this error, but the ppc machine did.  It is possible that I
forgot to do the 'make cleanworld' on the ppc machine.  Everything
seems to be working okay on both machines, once I got past the
installworld issue and rebooted.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu