Current amd64, "nve0: device timeout" with nForce4 ethernet

Bryan V bryanv at daemoninthecloset.org
Mon Jul 11 22:50:22 GMT 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:21:55 +0200
Daniel Rock <current at deadcafe.de> wrote:

> Paul Richards schrieb:
> > Hi,
> > With CURRENT (checked out earlier this evening) on amd64 I cannot get
> > my nForce4 ethernet adaptor to work.  The module automatically loads
> > but I get messages of the form "nve0: device timeout(..)" when I
> > attempt to use the interface.
> >
> > This is exactly the same problem that RELEASE 5.4 had using the nvlan
> > port on my system.  I upgraded to current as I was told that the
> > integrated nve driver in 6.0 was more up to date than the nvlan port.
> >
> > Does anyone have nForce4 ethernet working with any version of FreeBSD
> > on amd64?  Is this something to do with my particular nForce4 chipset
> > or is the nForce4 ethernet generally unsupported at this time?
>
> How much memory do you have?
>
> I'm too having trouble with the nve driver under FreeBSD, but only if memory
> is mapped beyond the 4 GB mark.
>
> I have a Tyan S2895 mobo with a memory hole at 2.75 GB for PCI cards. In the
> BIOS I can decide how to remap this memory: Disabled/Hardware/Software
>
> If I choose to set this setting to "Disabled" my nve driver works fine, with
> any other setting I too get "device timeout"'s.

I have a similar timeouts under current with an NForce2 (Abit NF7) with 1GB of memory. My timeouts usually happen under heavy usage however.

nve0: <NVIDIA nForce MCP2 Networking Adapter> port 0xc000-0xc007 mem 0xe1004000-0xe1004fff irq 10 at device 4.0 on pci0
nve0: Ethernet address 00:50:8d:fb:18:a2
miibus0: <MII bus> on nve0
rlphy0: <RTL8201L 10/100 media interface> on miibus0
rlphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
nve0: Ethernet address: 00:50:8d:fb:18:a2
nve0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

Bryan