fstat triggered INVARIANTS panic in memrw()

Mark W. Krentel krentel at dreamscape.com
Fri Jan 28 11:11:36 PST 2005

PHK> The only real problem here is that fstat(1) uses kvm in the first place.
PHK> The necessary information should be exported via sysctls.

PHK> No program used as part of regular system operation should use kvm.

Ok.  That still leaves btsockstat, netstat and trpt (and fstat) as
setgid kmem programs.  Are there plans to rewrite them?

Until then, I think it's not a bad idea to put a bandaid on fstat(1),
even if it's temporary.

Also, there's still the bug that kvm_read(3), and kmem(4) don't check
their arguments for values that lead to address wrap.

--Mark