Devd event from GEOM?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Jan 23 22:22:30 PST 2005

In message: <20050124055703.GA40104 at users.altadena.net>
            Pete Carah <pete at altadena.net> writes:
: Geom doesn't feed node-creations to devd in 5.3.  This would be VERY useful
: for letting ordinary non-programmer users access pen drives, among
: other things (floppies come to mind too...).
: (or mount e.g. a pen drive as part of an authentication system where no-one is
: yet logged in, so can't manually mount...)

True.

: umass0 comes in to devd, but this isn't useful for use in "mount".  One
: needs the disk device nodes.  I suppose one *could* parse dmesg for
: the info (or maybe sysctl) but that smacks of a serious kluge.  (not to
: mention that the slice table isn't represented in dmesg anyhow, and
: practically nothing is in sysctl...)

One of the problems is that CAM doesn't use newbus devices, so you
don't see da0 devices arrive.  Further, it is not possible to trace
back, using only newbus methods, what devices are attached to the
umass.

: Does this yet happen in any later version (RELENG_5 or HEAD)?
: If not, is there anyone planning or working on it?

I have some patches that export the GEOM events to devd.  I'd rather
have something that watches /dev and reports those.

: Geom is modular enough that this shouldn't be difficult...

I have my doubts that GEOM is the right layer to do this.  That's one
reason I've not committed the fixes.  /dev is better, but also has
some drawbacks.

Warner